1906~ A Day in the Life of Velocity Circus

Friday, February 15, 2008

And what did the circus freaks do for Valentine's Day? Well, at my recommendation, Gregangelo and Jeffrey went to a screening of Franco Zeferelli's Romeo & Juliet featuring a live appearance from Olivia Hussey. Sadly, Jeffrey wasn't into it like I thought he would be. "I don't like Shakespeare--I know, I know--and I just can't get into suicide. Love for death? It just doesn't do anything for me." The radio blasts Elton John next door in the costume workshop. "See THAT'S what I need! Lots of sappy torch songs!"
Et moi? For Valentine's Day I joined my long-time director and friend, Joyce Henderson, for some bubby and King Lear. Insane, you say? Yes, but how could I resist? I love champagne and I love Shakespeare and this film of Lear was done by Masterpiece Theatre with Ian Holm as Lear! Of course it was GENIUS, and segued into a stimulating and insightful discussion about aging, illness, death, love, and gender disparities between Joyce and I. Just a bit of light-hearted fun. Who needs romance when you're intelligent AND glamorous? Well...
Today, we are preparing costumes for a client-branding event, where we have performers advertising for a company as they roller-skate in costume. Gregangelo walks into the office with a stocking over his head. I jump back a bit. "What do I look like?" he asks. "Like you're gonna rob us," I laugh. "See, I can't do this! Can you imagine me in costume on rollerskates with this? I don't want to scare people!"
This after watching the video of our Heliopolis show, and remarking on our snake charmer with the ten snakes covering his entire head and face.
You know, just another day in the office!
Then Greg and Jeffrey, mentioned "Ken", a man who called us and is interested in putting us in his TV show "America's Got Talent." So when Jeffrey asked me to call the fellow for this new show, you can imagine my pouty response: "Do I have to?" He laughs and says "I just want you to feel him out. See what he has to say.""Oh, and it'll be good," I say." Anything for the circus! I'll do it for the blog!" So, I'm waiting to hear back from him. Gulp.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home